AMP Camp Three – Analytics and Machine Learning at Scale was held in Berkeley California and live streamed online, August 29-30, 2013. AMP Camp 3 attendees and online viewers learned to solve big data problems using components of the Berkeley Data Analytics Stack (BDAS) including Spark, Shark, Mesos, Tachyon, MLbase as well as Hadoop.
The event was held in the Chevron Auditorium in the International House at UC Berkeley (details below).
The event was also live streamed and video archived on YouTube for free (find links in the agenda below).
At the event, we published the AMP Camp 3 Hands-on Exercises, which anybody you can use to get experience analyzing real big data on a real computer cluster of 6 Amazon EC2 instances (requires an AWS account). At the actual AMP Camp 3 event, we provided attendees with pre-launched clusters.
AMP Camp 3 consisted of the following agenda. Links to talk slides and videos can be found next to talk titles.
8:00-9:00am Continental Breakfast
9:00-9:35am Intro to Big Data, the AMPLab, and the Berkeley Data Analytics Stack (Ion Stoica)
9:35-9:45am Overview of the AMP Camp Curriculum (Andy Konwinski)
9:45-10:30am Datacenter Management with Mesos (Benjamin Hindman)
10:45-11:45am Parallel programming with Spark (Matei Zaharia)
11:45am-12:15pm Introduction to using Shark (Reynold Xin)
12:15-12:45pm Introduction to using Spark Streaming (Tathagata Das)
2:00-4:30pm Hands-on Exercises covering Spark, Shark, and Spark Streaming
5:00-6:30pm User Case Study Talks:
8:00-9:00am Continental Breakfast
9:00-9:30am Introduction to using BlinkDB (Sameer Agarwal)
9:30-10:15am Introduction to using MLbase (Ameet Talwalkar, Evan Sparks)
10:45am-12:45pm Hands-on Exercises covering Mesos, BlinkDB, and MLbase
2:15-2:45pm Introduction to Tachyon (Haoyuan Li)
2:45-3:15pm Introduction GraphX (Joseph Gonzalez, Reynold Xin)
3:15-3:30pm Wrap-up and concluding words (Andy Konwinski, Michael Franklin)
Both days of AMP Camp 3 (Aug 29 and 30, 2013) will be held in the International House, UC Berkeley, near the corner of Piedmont Ave and Bancroft Way (map). Full address: Chevron Auditorium, International House 2299 Piedmont Ave, UC Berkeley. Berkeley, California 94720 United States
Getting Here by Public transportation
- The BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) rail system connects Berkeley with downtown Oakland, downtown San Francisco, and both San Francisco (SFO) and Oakland (OAK) airports.
- From OAK, take the AirBART shuttle bus ($3.00 in cash — exact change only — or a $3.00 BART ticket) from any terminal to reach the Coliseum BART station, and take a train marked Richmond; get off at the Downtown Berkeley station. Travel time is about half an hour, trains run every 15 minutes.
- From SFO, take BART directly from inside the International terminal. The train will be marked San Francisco/Dublin/Pleasanton and you will have to transfer at Balboa Park station to board a Richmond train (same platform). Travel time is about an hour, trains run every 15 minutes.
- From downtown Berkeley, you can either walk to the International House (takes about 15 minutes) or catch the Perimeter Shuttle, which runs every 15 minutes and costs $1. Board the shuttle near the Bank of America on the corner of Shattuck and Center streets and ask the driver to let you off at International House. From there, follow the signs for the AMP Camp.
Driving from Oakland Airport or the East Bay:
- Take Interstate 880 north to Interstate 980 (Downtown Oakland) to Interstate 80 East.
- Exit I-80 east at University Avenue and turn right at the top of the ramp. Continue to the end of University Avenue and turn right (this is Oxford Street). Turn left on Durant and continue until Durant ends in a T at Piedmont Ave. Go left on Piedmont and the International House will be on your right.
Driving from the Peninsula, San Francisco, or SFO Airport
- Driving from SFO and Peninsula: IMPORTANT! The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge will be closed 8 p.m. Wednesday, August 28th and will reopen Tuesday, September 3. Please consult 511.org regarding the best options for driving to this event.
Parking Instructions for AMP Camp Attendees
- Parking lots near International House: Please read all parking restriction signs carefully, as some parking lots are managed by UC Berkeley and others by the City of Berkeley, and each have their own restrictions. Be aware that only cash is accepted in some parking garages. If you park in a garage managed by UC Berkeley, and the parking attendant has parked your car and has your car keys, you must pick your keys up before 5pm (this is when the parking attendant goes off duty).
- The streets around The I-House include both 1-2 hour metered parking (pay with coins), Park EZ pay stations (pay with coins or credit card) and free 2-hour City of Berkeley residential parking. Be aware that street parking is difficult to come by and parking restrictions are strictly enforced.
- Google Maps directory of parking near campus
- City of Berkeley off-street parking
- Public parking near campus